1. General objectives
- To develop water resources towards modernization and higher capacity to supply water for daily-life, industrial, agricultural, tourist and service activities, assurance of food security and commodity agricultural production in order to raise competitiveness, contributing to sustainable socio-economic development. hunger elimination and poverty reduction.
- To actively prevent, combat and alleviate damage caused by natural disasters, raising the water drainage and anti-flooding capability, protecting the ecological environment and incrementally adapting to climate change and sea level rise conditions.
2. Specific objectives towards 2020 Objective 1: Water supply.
- The water supply rates will reach 90%, with a norm of 120 liters/person/ day. for urban centers of grade IV or higher; 70% from centralized water supply systems, with a norm of 80 liters/ person/day. for urban centers of grade V.
- To ensure water sources for industrial production with a supply norm of 50-100mVday/ hectare of construction, attaching special importance to water-scarce regions in central provinces and the provinces of Ninh Thuan. Binh Thuan, Nha Trang, Vung Tau...
- To supply adequate water for 4.5 million hectares of cultivated land annually (including 3.83 million hectares of paddy), striving to ensure active irrigation of 100% of areas under two rice crops a year (3.32 million hectares), raising the irrigation frequency to 85%.
- To ensure active irrigation and drainage for the development of consolidated fruit tree, aquaculture and salt-making areas.
Objective 2: Water drainage and water environmental protection.
- To actively ensure and increase water drainage frequencies for such big urban centers as Hanoi. Hai Phong. Ho Chi Minh City, Can Tho and Ca Mau. taking into account the impacts of climate change and sea level rise.
- To increase the capability of drainage into main rivers, increasing areas with motor drainage, ensuring water drainage for delta and low-lying regions in service of people's daily life, agricultural production and other industries with an assured frequency of 5 - 10%, suitable to climate change and sea level rise conditions:
+ The northern delta: To ensure water drainage for residential areas and agricultural production areas.
+ The central coastal region: To increase the flood-draining capability for residential areas and areas under summer-autumn and winter-spring crops.
+ The Mekong River delta: To ensure drainage all year round for shallowly submerged areas and the summer-autumn and winter-spring crops for deeply submerged areas.
- To ensure the water environment in irrigation systems up to irrigation standards.
Objective 3: To actively prevent, combat and reduce natural disasters.
- To increase safety level in preventing and combating natural disasters, storms and floods, actively prevent, combat, avoid or adapt to them in order to minimize damage and ensure safety for people.
- To work out anti-flood and-storm construction solutions for ensuring safety for people, protecting 3.83 million hectares of paddy and ensuring stable production development under climate change and sea level rise conditions.
- To incrementally increase the anti-flood capacity of river dike systems in big river basins in the North and northern Central Vietnam with the frequencies:
- To proactively prevent, avoid and adapt to floods in order to protect people in other river basins in Central Vietnam, southern central coastal region, the Central Highlands and eastern South Vietnam; to ensure summer-autumn and winter-spring crop production with an assured frequency of 5 -10%.
- To absolutely control floods in shallowly submerged areas in the Mekong River delta, ensuring conditions for adaptability and safety for people's life and production in deeply submerged areas. By 2015, to control big floods similar to those in 1961 on main flows and those in 2000 in intra-fields. After 2015. to continue consolidating works and surrounding dike systems to control floods at higher level.
- The sea and river estuary dike systems will be capable of combating level-9 storms and tides corresponding to the frequency of 5%. in conformity to each phase and the importance of protected areas.
- To ensure safety of reservoirs, dikes, embankments and culverts for river banks and coasts.
Objective 4: To increase the effectiveness of management and exploitation of irrigation works at the level of over 90% of their design capacity.
Objective 5: To raise the water resource science and technology to the average level of Asia by 2020. then the average advanced level of the world by 2050.
Detail view attachments file: Approve the strategic orientation on development of water resources of Vietnam